Monday 28 February 2005

To a grinding halt

I always thought that if you take care of something, then chances are that it won't break down when you least expect it or really need it.

My computer has been rather temperamental as of late. I thought I treated it well. Fed it new data once in a while, fixed it when lightning fried the motherboard and nurtured when it was sick with a virus. But instead, it repays me by refusing to launch IE (hence the switch to Firefox, so don't blame me for lack of browser support) and shaking its head disdainfully at MSN.
"Why won't you connect? Why man, why?" I would ask, but the silence would be deafening. Some can be so ungrateful. I guess I need to get a better computer.

My ISP must have decided to increase their customer base - resulting in slow connectivity...oh hang on - that's only when I can connect. How can such a network not have enough lines? I thought I had been a loyal customer (my plan is so old, that they don't even offer it anymore). I guess it's time to upgrade to broadband....and hold a ritual where I burn my modem. My patience has been tested one time too many.

I drink the filtered water dispensed from the fridge often - I wait patiently while my cup fills up. But the tubing to the fridge burst and leaked everywhere. Did I drink too much water? What did I do? No quick filtered water now.

I trusted our family Corolla for close to 11 years now. In one week, it developed a burst water pipe, which was followed by a complication of a burst radiator. My friend reckons it was my PS2. I knew I should not have got the wheel for GT4. It's not my fault that I see racing lines on the road and try to get best laps in my Corolla, is it? Ok, so I probably did deserve it, but I was there for the car when it cracked 80,000km and 150,000km - I was there for those big milestones. I guess it just wasn't enough.
On a side note, it is really inconvenient not having a car. Getting lifts is definitely not a great way to go. *sigh* I guess that forces me into getting a car. Also, insurance is a killer for my "profile" when coupled with particular types of cars (read: "performance vehicles").

I consider myself to be rather patient, but when my laptop decides to take three minutes to navigate between applications, followed by a screen with nothing but a mouse pointer...what on earth do a click on? Restarting my laptop a number of times with deadlines is really annoying.

Work needs to be more compassionate. Looking at the people around me, some people look broken - they need a break!

Today, my MD decides that buttons on the remote are not meaningful, so my remote decides to stop working. Great!

I also hate it when people decide to steal things and break into places. Why do that? Our welfare system is adequate, though not providing a fantastic standard of living. *sigh* Surely there are other ways to earn a living...

Sometimes, even if one invests patience, time, energy to look after something, it does not necessarily equate to it working out or even guarantees that it will be there. There are other external factors at play which one is not necessarily aware of, which can change the outcome. It does help, but sometimes it is out of one's hands.

Oh well.
I guess it's just time to upgrade and look forward to getting some new stuff!

No comments: