Sunday 30 April 2006

When Harry Met Sally much later

I admit that even though I had previously worked in a video store and had the luxury of free videos, I hadn't watched a lot of movies.

So I decided to start catching up on a few movies which were deemed to be a bit of a must see - one of which was "When Harry Met Sally" (1989). This is one movie I can talk about comfortably without worring about giving spoliers as almost everyone else has seen this! Don't you just love movie dates?

Previously, when I had watched romantics, I never really thought about the subject matter so much and I guess I didn't really relate. However, I believe that one's experiences shape views and therefore cause reactions to incidents which one was previously not aware of - i.e. one's emotions are tied to feelings for someone in that same situation.

The amusing factor was seeing two people who were practically polar opposites being drawn together like some wicked spell. I guess it highlights the fact that the person who you truly are compatible with start out on a platform of friendship and opening up to each other (and how Harry even admitting that he can tell her things which he cannot even tell his best friend).
Throughout the movie, I felt that Harry transforms from some strong headed, opinionated young graduate, through to a more mellow, emotionally oriented person - especially at the pent up feelings he had felt after his divorce. Sally was the "I'm ok" kind of person who was the type to shy away from revealing her true feelings and is more guarded and conservative.

I guess the ending emphasised the fact that ending up with someone is not based on some secret formula and cannot be boxed in neatly into being boxed in based on rules. Sometimes, things dont turn out the way in which one expects.

Marie's earlier line: "All I'm saying is that somewhere out there is the man you are supposed to marry. And if you don't get him first, somebody else will, and you'll have to spend the rest of your life knowing that somebody else is married to your husband " is somewhat reflected in the finale of the film, as one of the most thought provoking and inspiring statements was delivered:
"When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with a person, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

Being able to make that statement with such conviction is definitely worth admiration - and having attended a couple of weddings of late has definitely fed my thoughts on the gravity of dedicating one's life to another.

I guess the certainty factor is very difficult to attain - how can one be certain that the person is the one whom they wish to spend their short eternity together? Even certainty of oneself does not guarantee an equal measure of commitment by the other person. I guess that it is the leap of faith and trust that one has in the other person. Embracing someone in their entirety -flaws and shortcomings included is a rather daunting proposition; uncovering them late in the piece can also be a problem. Although it took Harry a while to find out what he wanted or needed, I'm happy that he finally did.

In any case, it was a definitely a funny movie, with some great dialogue which really highlighted the characters.

Well, I guess I still have a lot of movies to catch up on...

No comments: