Sunday 17 June 2007

Must. Have. Now.

With the turbulent weather experienced lately, I was happy to try and stay indoors over the weekend. Again.

As some of you may know, I am a bit of a hack when it comes to golf, so I need every little bit of help which I can get. Today, I decided to head out to take a look at a golf store, since they have a sale whenever there is a PGA major being played. Ahh - I still remember when I picked up my current set of irons from the exact same store in 2004.

Of course, given that a quick 3 years have already passed by, the clubs of old had been superseded with the latest equipment - all offering variations of "further distance", "greater control", "better feel". Being more consumer than advertiser, I was keen to lap all these key words, brainwashed somewhat as I covered almost every square metre of the store in hopes of finding that critical piece of equipment which would allow me to play like Tiger Woods, while practising like Norm from the Life Be In It advertisements.


It was then that I spotted a club which I had been eyeing for a quite sometime, but had vowed to get better and take some lessons before purchasing. Ignoring the fact that I had not gotten any better since the last time I had seen the club, I was attracted by the fact that the price had been drastically reduced (yeah, who doesn't like a bargain eh?). I asked a helpful assistant about the price and he explained that the companies typically release a new set every 12-18mths so the discounted price will be there to stay until the new clubs are released.

This got me thinking about the mentality I had just experienced. Sure, I could put it down to the whole weather thing, but the buyer's mentality is very much a "here and now" mentality. I was thinking to myself, had I bought this club some 18mths ago and paid full price (i.e. over $500) would I have had much more satisfaction than if I had bought it today? As a function of our society, with a constant stream of new gadgets/tools/technology being released and at decreasing costs, it's rather interesting to see a real compelling reason to be an early adopter? I guess if I were in that industry then I would understand (heck if I had Tiger Woods breathing down my neck, the last thing I would want to do is "do a Greg Norman"...so to speak). But the question is, "Is it ever really worth it to be in a must-have-now mentality?"
Yes, it would have probably saved me some skins (not to mention countless golf balls), I am tempted to think it is worth the wait.

No comments: