Tuesday 6 July 2010

Virtually shopping

I have never really been a big user of eBay or bought much off the internet. I don't have a paypal account. There - I admitted it. Call me backwards (or a grandpa). Strangely though, the so called "explosion" in internet sales which was a much touted affair just over a decade ago has only been represented by a relatively small level of total sales.

One thing that the internet has provided is the ability for research. I think a lot of people are becoming more savvy in their purchases and knowledge of products (rather than get fed some misinformation by some sales people).
However, what is swaying me in the direction of using the internet as shop front is the price discovery and how absolutely outrageous some of the prices we are being charged for goods.

When I was shopping for my camera and accessories, I found that the RRP and even discounted prices here were much higher than online prices were (ok - they were grey imports). I applaud some distributors who are willing to match the grey importers' price, which I think is wonderful news for consumers.

The internet allows retails to cross geographic borders and keeps retailers honest in terms of the pricing and margins being applied.
Sure, Australia being somewhat more remote means it may cost a bit for freight and labour, but some of the pricing discrepancies are quite large. But coupled with being in a high tax environment, it definitely makes me think twice about handing over some of my hard earned dosh.

I also agree that the some goods rely on the shopping experience more than others (e.g clothing), and some goods are just not so suitable for internet purchases (e.g fresh food). Some high value and highly personal goods definitely are about the shopping experience (e.g. leather goods, watches). However, for largely homogenous products, I am happy to look for alternatives.
I am considering some shirts/shoe purchases online now - as impossible as it seemed a few years ago. Anything for a good deal, right?....

No comments: