Sunday 22 July 2018

Serve up happiness

Over the years, I would find myself deferring happiness.  I would stop myself buying or doing something, as I felt it was not the right time to do it, or would feel that it was unnecessary.

I would not spend on a pair of jeans knowing that I didn't need it, or we had stayed in the same place because it was still convenient and didn't want to move, even though the place was small.  Partly there was a cost element, and felt it was unjustified; partly there was laziness and general inertia, after trying to move and a few false starts in the process.

However, recently, I have had to move house.  The old place was experiencing water seepage from the upstairs unit, resulting in wall degradation and mould.  It was terrible in that the place smelled of wet sand and I really didn't want to sit in my living room.  So the decision was made to move to a new place and take the opportunity to find a bigger space.  While the cost was considerably more, after some extensive searching, we settled on a new place - something which we would enjoy for a while.  Over the last few weeks, I had realised that the place can make us happy.  I think our original place was good for us when we first moved, but over the years the limitations had really set in.  Small kitchen and general space did not allow us to have our friends over.  We were finding it difficult to cook for even the two of us, resulting in lots of eating out and takeaway.  Outgrown the space in terms of storage and it was truly convenient but was on somewhat of a main road which had buses and cars passing frequently.What our new place lacks in convenience is offset with the space, flexibility, storage and quiet surrounds.  I never realised how much noise there was before, but definitely can appreciate the difference in being in a quieter neighbourhood. All this time, I had been missing out on this because I didn't want to pay up for it. 

To some degree, we have to responsible for our own happiness and create an environment which I want to come back to every day - and create more of a home.  In that short space of time, we have bought the coffee machine we have wanted and updated certain elements to do just that.  I just never realised how big a difference it can have on the way one thinks or feels - creating more a positive mindset and outlook.  So perhaps it is about time to reboot and rethink how I approach making myself happy! 

No comments: