Sunday 4 December 2005

Wine and memories

Last night was spent with some work colleagues, sitting around drinking a couple of bottles of wine after downing some eye fillet steaks from Oz.

Being out of town was no doubt being an important factor in bringing us together in the same room - easy as we are all living in the same apartment building spread over 3 floors.

"So what's your favourite wine?" I asked.
"Cab Sauv; South Australian," someone responded.
"I like fruity wines," chimed another.
I turned to the only person who hadn't answered.
"Hmm...," he said as he pondered over the question a bit more. "I'd have to say it really depends on the time, place and company. Sometimes you can have a mediocre wine, but remember it because of who you were with, what you were doing or that particular event. Sometimes, even good wines can be forgotten easily, if it wasn't a memorable occasion in itself."

The alcohol had already started to slow down my thinking and I needed some time to soak up that statement.

"I have this wine journal at home," he continued. "In it, there is a wine label peeler allowing you to take off the wine label and stick into the book. There are spaces in the book for you to write the time and place of opening the wine, who you were with and what rating you gave the wine. After a couple of years, it is rather interesting ot go back to the book and see what I had written."

What a great idea!

I agree that the environment which one is in is very important to setting up something to being memorable. Average food and service cannot sour moments where the company and environment is good. Sure, if the food and service were also top notch, then it would be a fantastic time.

Having the right people to share fantastic moments is a precious thing. It is times when I am away which I realise that hte people around me contribute to my memories a lot more than I originally thought. They are integral to ensuring each and every moment is a memorable one.

No comments: