Tuesday 10 April 2007

Pick me up

Sometimes, when I wake up I really feel out of sorts. I know that it is going to be that kind of day when one or more of the following happens:
- I feel really reluctant to drag myself from the warmth of the quilt on a cold morning
- I see the bus pull away from the stop as I sprint for it AND the bus driver deliberately drives off
- And it's the last express bus into the city and I'm late.
- It's raining and a car splashes me as it drives passed
- It's raining and I have no umbrella
- I forget my access pass
- I feel super tired and my thoughts are not coherent
- Still feeling the effects of drinking the night before

I could probably go on, but that's are the annoying ones (apart from the public transport gripes). It's at this point, as I drag my already weary feet into work, flop into my chair and stare at the computer, that I realise that I need a pick me up. Sure - I had only been into work for less than 20mins, but that's enough for me. I grab my wallet and head for the door (not forgetting my temporary pass as well) and make a beeline for my coffee haunt. As one of my colleagues said - "I'm useless until I have my coffee".

Now that I am back and working in the city, I needed to test the waters and establish my place in the barista's hierarchy. I had a favourite coffee place in Melbourne while I was there for two years - good ol' Beetroot. Whenever I walked in, they would know my order and also know that I would take a muffin. It was these little things that made the whole customer experience worthwhile - just ask John Singleton...

As much as I don't like to admit it, it's all about building that relationship up. Of course my wage rate doesn't quite allow me to afford $50 coffees, but I want a barista to remember that I forked out $2.50-$3.50 (depending on how much of a pick me up I need) and given that I am there almost daily, at least make an effort to say hello and try to remember my order (especially since I am not salary sacrificing my coffees).

For a while, I was deciding who will make money from me. Unfortunately, only baristas around my area will be in the shortlist. None, however are like my favourite Beetroot in Melbourne though!
One barista does a pretty good moccha, while the other one does a much better latte. I swayed to the latte as it tastes less like chocolate milk and therefore less filling by the time lunch rolls around. Both places have respected me in their hierarchy, although some more-regular-customers-than-me come in and sometimes jump the queue, which is frankly damn annoying (although I used to be do that...hehe). Furthermore, my new barista also runs table for twenty in Surry Hills, so that's a plus. Well, now that that is sorted out, I can go back and slog out the next 8 hrs....

No comments: