Thursday 26 April 2007

Notepad Scribbles #20070426

The last four weeks have been great - short weeks (since I had training as well last week) which has broken up the monotony of just going to work.

Lately, I have tried some new things, so I was determined to watch another AFL game. Thankfully the Swannies won against the Brisbane Lions. There was a time when we were down, but we showed spirit to come all the way back! Go the Swannies! I didn't realise that the AFL was very formal, insisting I go into the member's area wearing a collared shirt. Luckily, I was prepared. The low point of the day was trying to get out of the parking lot at the end of the day...it was absolutely choc-a-block with random cars cutting in.

Recent movies have included:
- 300
Mixed feelings about this one. There was plenty of gore as well as buff, testosterone laden males. Storyline was rather predictable but interesting animations and interpretation of the Spartan tale.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Ahh. This definitely brought back memories. I forgot how non-violent TMNT was, since it was more PG rated. The turtles looked interesting since this time, they had more flippers than forearms. Animation has very nicely done, but it had a rather predictable storyline (don't expect a Miyazaki film or anything like that)

Given the horrible weather, it was decided that we should try indoor rock climbing. Little did we know that a lot of other people seemed to have the same idea (shows how original we are!)
After getting the crash course in securing the clips, I decided to try some "confidence builders". I was feeling ok and due to the sheer number of people, I decided to try some more difficult ones...and I was struggling. Unfortunately, I have a small fear of heights (ok, make that a big one) and I have a very large apprehension to falling off. Some of the little pieces were very difficult to hold onto and I just could not bring myself to step onto the next ledge without any support. I did manage to go up a few of the easier ones which was encouraging. Worse part was when one of the items was loose, so when I went to grab it, it spun and I scrapped my fingers as I was off balance. I also fell off and hit the wall. Not too bad though - it was definitely a fun experience (my arms were feeling weak by the end of it).

I also recently tried some face recognition technology. One of the fun features was checking out which celebrities have a resemblance to me. Strangely, a lot of females came up in that list - I wonder if that is a hint??? Maybe I need to take some lessons from those Spartans in 300? In any case, such technology, which I thought would be quite intensive in processing, has now become commercially viable which is great. I still remember the days of the good ol' 286 computers which had monochrome screens and those big 5.25 inch disks and having to allocate memory to upper memory blocks.

Today, I was going through my email archives and thinking back to all the emails I had received over the last few years. I was trying to find some people's addresses and realising that I never really updated my address book which is rather disorganised. Note to self - must start using address book features and update it periodically! **Must be more organised. Must be more organised...**

No comments: