Tuesday 29 June 2010

Notepad scribbles #20100629

Unfortunately, the green and gold suffered such an early exit from the World Cup, I haven't felt much urgency in putting myself through the pain of waking up early.

Another factor which I feel has dampened my enthusiasm has been some dubious calls in the refereeing department. The problem is that at this stage of the tournament, it is do-or-die. In particular, soccer is already a low scoring game that a single goal can be pivotal.

Or particular note was the blatant mistake surrounding Frank Lampard's goal against Germany. Such a horrendous decision has the ability to turn games. I don't disagree that Germany are a classy outfit which deserved a win, but for England to go from a potential 2-2 scoreline meant that the England team had to push up in search of an equaliser which resulted in two lovely counter attacks which ultimately served to turn the match into a humiliating loss for England.
These kind of mistakes are almost unforgivable in such a tournament - and likely robbing players who work so hard to get a chance of glory. Surely, this only highlights the blatant need for soccer to embrace the 21st century and use some real technology!
The linesmen were clearly watching something else when Tevez scored his header against Mexico - great that they were all eyeing Messi with his cheeky chip! I can't comprehend how all the officials missed that.

Instead, I have been playing Winning Eleven to get my fix of the soccer (and help predict the match results!). I've had to put up with some dubious ref'ing there as well! I might have to get an option file with updated stats though!

No comments: