Monday 14 June 2010

R.I.C.E.

Motivated by (a) a fitness challenge at work and (b) my doctor mentioning that I had a gut - made me decide to hit the basketball and soccer courts this week. I must admit, I hadn't taxed my body so much since I was playing two days of basketball, two days of soccer per week when I was on my sabbatical - i.e. 4 years ago. As usual, the memory of playing so much sport was much fresher in my mind than the rest of my body, so I was definitely feeling my muscles ache more than usual.

Following a bout of cold and rainy weather, I (as usual) didn't warm up as much as I should have and felt a tweak in my left knee. Disregarding this, I played on and even followed up with soccer the next night. I felt no more tired than usual after two consecutive nights of sport. That was until I couldn't bend my knee. Hmm, so quick self diagnosis recognised swelling but not signs of bruising so I went to work. It wasn't too bad until later in the day, I felt it was getting even more swollen, which prompted a trip to the doctor. Previous trips to the doctor usually involved me hearing what I wanted to hear - but this time I was paying more attention after I have seen two friends have serious knee injuries and requiring knee reconstruction. Fluid behind the patella appears to be the diagnosis, so I guess I need to see if the anti-inflams help before there is further diagnosis. Great - and I am out for three weeks at least by my reckoning. So much for losing weight!

Perhaps I just need to RICE it for now! At least the World Cup in South Africa is on! Unlike some places *cough*HK*cough*, it's free to air here....

No comments: