Monday 10 January 2005

Sales 'tude

Gosh the weekends seem to just evaporate. Perhaps I was spoilt with those three/four day weekends, but they go by so quickly.

On Saturday, I decided to go for a test drive (just for fun). Hadn’t driven manual in a while (make that three years), but obviously had to drive the manual version of the 350Z Roadster. Very nice car I have to say! Bad part was having dirt and leaves blowing into the car and that my arms were burnt from having the top down. Only problem was that it doesn’t fit a set of golf clubs! I hit the driving range in the afternoon and tested out my friend’s new R5 460CC driver. The sweet note of hitting the ball cleanly was just as much reward as seeing the ball traveling a great distance.

Sunday morning was a little dreary but decided to go shopping with my little sister. We decided to go out to buy a few choice items but I must have been underdressed for the occasion. I was seriously dished some attitude when I went shopping! What is it about me that I always seem to get snobbed at? Ok, so I don’t dress well, but hey, why on earth do you think I am go shopping in the first place?

Example 1.
Walk into store to look at a shirt. I pick it up and we have the following exchange:

Sales: "Can I help you there?"
Me: "Yes. I was wondering whether I can try this shirt?"
Sales: (*takes shirt from my hand and clutches it protectively*) "Sorry this won’t fit you. This is the last one I have left."
Me: "Right-io..."

That sales was a like Smeagol. *my precious shirt*. What a loser!


Example 2.
Walk into store and I tried on this brown jacket. The salesperson helped us and there were about four jackets in both brown and black on the rack, one in each size. I proceeded to tell the sales that I wanted it.

Me: "Yes, I'll like to take this, except for one problem – there’s a mark on the front pocket."
Sales: "Really? I think it comes off..."(*proceeds to scratch at the mark*)"...I don't think this is on the other ones."(*checks the other jackets on the rack*)
Sister: "Well perhaps you have a new one?"
Sales: " Well all the ones on the rack are new..."
Me: " But they don't have the right size. "(since he was the one who helped us find the size, should know, but anyway...)
Sales: "I don't suppose you want it in the black?"
Me: "Ah no."
Sales: "Well I suppose I could get it in."
Me: "Well then I don't suppose you could check your Melbourne stores?"
Sales: (*checks computer*) "Ah yes they have it..."
Me: "So..."(waiting for him to fill in the blank, but clearly is unable to draw any conclusion for himself)"...can you order it in?" (I was starting to get a little more than exasperated)
Sales: "Are you sure you want it?"
(At this point I’m thinking that this guy is slow...)
Me: "Yes, I do want it."
Sales: "Well, I can’t order it in unless you buy it."
(Is this guy for real??? I was almost speechless!!)
Me: "Yes I will pay for it."
Sis: "So, what if that jacket has a problem with it?"
Sales: (*embarrassed at their apparent lack of quality control*) "Oh. I will get the sales down there to check it before they send it up."


Got to hand it to my sister for putting him in his place. After taking down my name, he proceeded to ask me for my name again when he was entering it into the computer. He was even more embarrassed when he could clearly see that we were getting impatient at him entering the details into the computer. S.L.O.W. I'd hate to see his CV
.


Example 3
Walk into a particular store not to mention any brands associate with horses, but I was checking out these polo shirts, and the salesperson says: "I don’t have any Medium or Small sizes left".
I'm thinking, "Huh? This guy must be schizophrenic, since I did not say anything".


I mean, honestly, what is it? Really - tell me to my face. Do I need to dress up to look like I can buy something before going into your store? Sure dressed in t-shirt and jeans isn't exactly classy, but why on earth do I need to be dressed up to go shopping?

Is it the way I carry myself? Do I look like a little kid just out of high school?

Crap. I get better service at large chains than those some of those boutique stores. But what I don’t understand is their mentality. I just want to shake them silly and scream, "My purchase keeps in a job, you nincompoop! You idiot! Can't you see that I am not the one working here?"

5 comments:

the girl said...

ROFLMAO
I put him in his place now did I?

I can't believe the idiot didn't even think to take your number. And I had to ASK him to call us when he actually confirmed the transfer. What a trend-whore wannabe tool.

Remember what I said, these people are in sales, and only in sales. You can be a snob in there and get away because they have to be nice to you. Should have taken all their names down and filed complaints...and this is coming from someone who is IN sales...

JookBoy said...

Maybe you just have to wave some bling around...like have a wad of fifties in your crusty shirt pocket. I'm sure they'll take notice :)

sime said...

manda: hehe. Of course you put him in his place! The names thing is a good idea...I have his name now since he called to confirm the transfer!

JookBoy: Hi JookBoy! Yeah, I guess I mustn't have impressed and didn't do enough bling waving. It is just so annoying that they are so quick to pass judgement!

Beckster said...

Nope, you don't need to walk in dressed like a label whore or wave piles of fifties around, take it from yours truly the experienced shopaholic.

The reason you were snubbed was because you didn't have the 'shopaholic' vibe, it only comes from years of hard work, flexing of the AMEX, and conspicuous consumption. Don't fret bro, it's not your fault.

There's no need to walk in with your nose in the air and an attitude up your butt either, remember "Pretty Woman"? Just smile sweetly and ask the dumb-ass mofo sales sincerely 'Are you on commission? Yes? Oh, that's just TOOOOOO bad', then sail out.

You're the one with the cash after all. Come shopping with me (or Manda) next time.

sime said...

beckster: Ah, so that's how's it done. Well, the shopper vibe must not be emanating from my body. Next time, I will be sure to get into the groove before going!

BTW, manda was with me that time, but she did not exude the power - maybe 'cos I was the one who dragged her along.