Monday 16 January 2006

Opportunity Cost

After being more than a little fed up with having to sit within a LAN cable radius from the cable modem in the serviced apartment, I decided to purchase a wireless router and wireless USB adapter. The plan is to take them back home after this assignment and enable wireless for home upon my return.

Like any risk averse person, research was paramount. (For those interested
http://www.whirlpool.net.au/ has a wealth of information with regards to broadband connections as well as hardware related support). I spent a large portion of my time researching the pros and cons of the different hardware options (as well as understanding the different options available). In the end I decided to opt for flexibility, future use and speed - rather than an all in one solution (which are available, but will be more trouble if one component renders other components useless by virtue of being in the same casing, rather than discrete objects). I did prices comparisons between Singapore and back home. Really, it was a bit of a no brainer - given that SG prices were actually less than half of what it would have cost me back home.

The next part was shopping around. I did manage to try and get a couple of shops to try to price match, but frankly that's not a big thing over here:
"But at XYZ shop, I saw it for cheaper," in protest at their high prices.
"Well, why don't you go to XYZ shop and buy it then?" the shop assistant baulked.

After walking through the five floors of two IT malls, I managed to get a pretty good deal so walked away rather pleased with my efforts.

Setting it up was a breeze and have had no noticeable issues after running 7 hrs straight with no dropouts. I can now type this up from the comfort of my own room.

*phew*

This buying experience has been an interesting one. The internet has dramatically simplified the process of researching and evaluating the pros and cons of a purchase. At some point there was too much information, as there was no single solution which satisfied my needs. Perhaps it is my
perfectionist attitude which stops me from being decisive and it is more important to understand that there is ultimately a trade-off. I understood that I could not have everything I wanted in the one solution and sometimes, it is better just to get out there and do it (and I would have saved myself the trekking!)

3 comments:

cosine said...

I guess it is important to weigh up the opportunity cost with each decision. but i find that ppl who over analyse the situation tend to miss some good bits. I also understand that its the asian mentality to get the "biggest bang for your buck". its a fine line, sometimes its just better to choose and be happy with your choice. it may not be perfect, but know that the time saved not looking around for it you spent on something else worthwhile.

Anonymous said...

Hey, stumbled across your blog from another. Good to read what you've been up to mate.

Wireless surfing is quite useful at times, particularly when one is feeling kinda lazy!! How come the USB adapter though? I would have thought your lappy would have an inbuilt wireless network card.

Keep on posting - I'll drop by once in a while to see what you're up to (until you return to Syd of course!)

sime said...

mindy:Yes, and I think that it is a concern for me as my indecisiveness is really bad. Hopefully I can become more decisive and know what I want.

?:Hey mate! Good to hear from you. Yeah, I haven't gotten my upgrade yet. Definitely should catch up sometime soon!