Saturday 16 July 2016

Vintage

Do you ever get the feeling of upgrading?  

Looking at one's phone, gadgets and computers, and then drooling over the latest gadgets or being in awe of the latest technology, thinking "Wow! One day I'll look to get that...".


It's funny how that worked.  Looking back to when I was studying.  The cool kids had the latest shoes with the latest technology.  Or the cool bags.  Or the cool phones.  Crowding around to take a look at the latest and greatest.

Same goes for when I think about my gaming.  When I had my first console, I was thinking that it was awesome.  All of its 8-Bit glory.  "Of course that's ", I would think I was looking at a pixelated blob, and the accompanying text which read something vaguely about picking up said item.
Then it was 16 Bit offering more colours and better sound.  Then 32 Bit offering 3-D polygon...

Cameras anyone? From the SLR, to the compact film cameras, to digital compact cameras, back to digital SLR, to now digital-mirrorless-full frame cameras....

But something has been interesting and turning a bit of circle.  There has been a sense of nostalgia and appreciation of the retro designs which have been setting in.  Sign of age perhaps?

Taking for example those basketball shoes.  I didn't have them in the playground, but because they are re-released, I can grab a retro pair.  I was looking at old photos, which made me think  about finding a film camera.  I was on the plane, and I was watching the British television show "For the love of cars" which features car restoration.  There was something magical about finding something old and unloved and restoring it to a more glorious time.  It definitely made me think about all those cars I had read about and wanted but never bought and thinking, "hey, the depreciation on these things would have been huge and I can now go back to build my car collection!".

But isn't it strange how for some things we prefer the latest and greatest and yet there is something which tugs at us in the direction of vintage and restoration.  

For me, um this would be a "no".   Alright I did think about it.  Briefly.

No comments: