Wednesday 29 December 2004

Down Memory Lane

Being a bit of a hoarder, I keep a lot of my old junk. Sometimes, these itmes bring back memories when I see them again (then again, I could just have a really bad memory). In any case, as I was cleaning up and looking back on some old items which I had not cleared, I found an old creative writing piece that I wrote quite a while ago, which I thought I would post (since it was rather short).




For Richer and For Poorer




Do you see the poor boy outside your room?
Or am I just a distant light within
your heart? Am I that light so faint and dim,
Flickering till I rest in my tomb?
In that white gown, you caught everyone's eye -
A single lily surrounded by green.
I'm the frosty wind which cannot be seen,
Reaching in vain with empty hands, I cry.
But fate may blow my candle light out; or,
Blow it over and ignite my dreams.
Though this cannot happen just yet, it seems.
I'll have to get rich because I am poor.
When I have money, just wait, you'll see -
One day I'll be back and ask, "Marry me?"

I can see the young man outside my room.
You are not just a distant light within
my heart. You are not a light which is dim,
Flickering faintly till you meet your doom.
Your deep eyes show a spirit so carefree -
A galloping stallion free to run
So happily in the rays of the sun.
But while running so fast, do you see me?
Though my father looks down on you, I say:
"Damn the fool, the tyrant. Do not despair!
Allow the dragon to put on his airs."
Wherever you are, in my heart you'll stay.
Till you have money, I'll wait for you.
For the day you return, I'll say, "I do."




While reading through the assignment, I found that these poems were inspired by the movie, "The Princess Bride". I really liked that movie and watched it a couple of times. It's a good comedy/love/action movie!

Even though I did not concentrate in English classes, I really enjoyed studying it. Unfortunately, beyond high school I never really studied or had the time to appreciate English literature on the same level (and I admit - I liked studying Keats). I love trying to capture the moment and the emotions - as well as really getting into the character and feeling the emotions as well. It really stretches the imagination! Maybe I should append my "To Do" list with exploring English literature and creative writing!

While on this "creative" note, I think it would be awesome to learn how to draw properly (cartoons and stills etc). I couldn't draw to save my life (yes, I have played Pictionary - the pressure doesn't help). Back in high school, drawings and posters would be all over books/folders. My friends would have the coolest drawings all over them. Their doodles would look realistic - my doodles haven't evolved since I first started holding crayons. I would love to draw manga - I think I have a book floating around on how to draw manga. Another addition to the "To Do" list!

2 comments:

cosine said...

i have stopped stalkin, and will become non-anonymous. what is the opposite of anonymous? i guess onmymous. anyways, nice piece of poetry there. makes me sad though, is there an ending? does he come back??

sime said...

Hi Mindy. Nice of you to comment! Glad that you liked the poetry. At the time I wrote it, I had ended there - there was no further part to it. What really mattered was that the girl loved the boy - regardless of who he was and she would wait for him to come back.

I guess it is a little sad, isn't it? Oh well!